The new F 124 class
This class will be the newest German ship class. These ships are replacing the last destroyers. Unlike the other frigates
classes (F 122, F123)
it's main role is AAW (Anti Air Warfare). Four ships are planned. First to be build at 2002.
The power system will be again the Combined Diesel or Gasturbine (CODOG) - already installed on the other frigates - or a new
Combined Diesel and Gasturbine (CODAG).
Because of the strict German enviromental laws there was problem with the new cooling system since the old system used at the
other frigates wasn't allowed anymore. So they are planning to use a new one with a bigger size and higher energy consumption.
Since the new radars also need more power they had to implent a stronger electric plant.
Sensors and Weapons
- APAR (Active Phased Array Radar) a new developed 3-D mulitfunction radar
- SMART-L a long range 3-D radar
- AN/SPS-67 for surface targets
- two navigational radars
- FL 1800 S II (ESM/ECM)
- DSQS-21 B sonar
- SM-2 (Standart Missile) for medium range defense - vertical launched
- ESSM (Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile) - against sea skimmer and for task force defense - vertical launched
- RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile) a CIWS (close in weapon system) for short range
- Harpoon against surface targets
- one 76mm OTO-Melara gun against small ships and land targets
- two machineguns
- ASW torpedos MU 90
- a helicopter (ASW)
[back to the ship list]