Submarine U 212
There are some facts about the new generation of submarines - the U 212 class:
New generation because of the new power system. It's a hybrid engine. One possiblity is to produce electricity only with oxygen and hydrogen.
It's very quiet. The tanks for those are outside the pressure vessel. With these system the submarine can stay under water for some month without coming up.
Also the sub can be powered with the normal 16 cylinder MTU diesel engine. This still needs oxygen from outside.
- tonnage: 1360 tons
- lenght: 53.5 m
- high:11.5 m
- pressure vessel diameter: 6.8/5.5 m
- crew: 24 men
The material for the pressure vessel is a special developed non magnetic steel (Werkstoffnr. 1.3964 - "hochfest, nichtmagnetisierbar, austenitisch"). It's
very solid and highly elastic (eg. useful in case of a ground contact).
They're going to build four of them.
weapons and sensors
- 6 torpedo tubes (asymmetrical two 3 tube rows)
- heavy DM 2 A 4 torpedos (launched with a water ram = less noise ...)
- towed-array sonar (long range, low frequencies)
- flank-array sonar (low and medium frequencies)
- "Zylinderbasis" (passive, medium frequencies)
- Passive Ranging Sonar (PRS) Basis (bearing and range)
- Intercept Basis (interception of other sonar emitters)
- ESM Fl1800
- attack periscope SERO 14
- normal periscope SERO 15
[back to the ships list]